Sunday, February 26, 2006

You Have the Potential Damnit!

The western world holds people to the ideal they must live up to their ultimate potential. If someone has the ability to do something then ultimately they should. Consider fat people: inevitably someone asks, “Why don’t you just lose weight? Why not go to the gym?” Pressure to lose weight just because of the potential to do so causes a problem within our society and creates a rift.

This rift can result in a fat people everywhere wondering what’s wrong with them. Obese people send themselves negative messages because they know they can, in principle, lose weight. Yet they don’t seem to have what it takes to get the job done. This conundrum is the prevailing idea I want to talk about now. Why is it people who have the ability to directly change their lives just not do it?

I realized a few years back that I have more than my fair share of god given gifts in this life. I have an array of talents: singing, drawing, cooking, playing guitar and being intuitive. I’m a pretty good communicator. I have knack for writing my feelings in a way people can relate to. I have a degree and I’m fairly athletic when I play sports. Despite all these “gifts” I still am unemployed, fat and find it hard to get the motivation together to really accomplish anything. Why is it I have so much potential that remains relatively unrealized?

I think the answer lies in a decision I make at a very base level. It’s the thing that alcoholics call their bottom. It’s when people realize something has to change and their lives become unacceptable. Every person has a different threshold for their decision, but that’s not the key. The key is that people must reach this point before they do bring about any personal change.

I have a friend who when I met her five years ago she was already quite fat. In the five years since I first laid eyes on her she looks like she’s doubled in size. She now has fat hanging off her knees and her head is so huge it looks like it’s covered in a fat helmet. Her butt and legs are so big that when we both sit in a car together she sits higher than me. I’m about 5 inches taller than her if we are standing side by side.

The problem with my friend is that she hasn’t reached the point in her mind that will make her change. She is a mere 32 and takes medication for hypertension. A heart attack looms in her near future and all she does is sit around and eat. Her life is cushy. She has a highly marketable chemical engineering degree, lives rent-free in her grandma’s basement and isn’t looking for employment. She spends her time with her computer, her food and her television. Her boyfriend keeps finding excuses not to move closer to her. Yet she maintains that her life is put together and just fine. Maybe it is, but she has a ton of potential. She keeps getting fatter and fatter and it’s pretty scary.

The point is that she hasn’t made a decision to change. She doesn’t like the way she is. She’s intimated to me that she knows what she looks like when she looks in the mirror. I haven’t completely made my decision to change either. It seems like some people have an unlimited capacity for personal pain and it prevents them from changing. It seems like some people are just lazy. I’m not completely sure.

One thing I do know is the willingness to change comes from a place deep within ourselves and it’s the only place I think we have that is truly our own. It’s the only place no one outside of use personally can truly touch. Others can affect this place in us but ultimately it’s our decision as to how we see things.

Our decision to change comes purely from our willingness to change. Basically if we are not willing to change then we are never going to make the decision to change. That’s the difference I’ve found in myself is that I’ve had to become willing to change. From this base I can simply choose what I want to do. With that realization I’ve been able to look at life with much clearer eyes and look at what I want to change.

The changes have proven difficult for me but with the willingness to change I know eventually I’ll get to where I want to be. That’s a great feeling and my past no longer rules my future decisions like it once did. Now I choose to live my life on the other side realize my potential.

As always, thanks for reading to the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home